I'm looking for

Generally, you may change your elections during the year only if you experience a qualifying status change, such as birth, marriage, divorce, death, or your spouse/domestic partner losing or obtaining coverage. View the complete list.

3 Basic Types of Qualified Status Changes

A Change in Your Household Size

  • Getting married
  • New domestic partnership
  • Having a baby
  • Adopting a child or placing a child for adoption or foster care
  • Death of family member (causing you to lose eligibility in your current plan)

Loss of Health Coverage

  • Losing your health coverage through spouse or other group health plan
  • Expiration of COBRA coverage from another health plan
  • Reaching age 26 and losing coverage through a parent's plan
  • Getting divorced or legally separated (resulting in loss of coverage)
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid or CHIP

 A Change in Circumstance

  • Gaining citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S.
  • Permanently moving outside your plan's coverage area (e.g., overseas)
  • A change in status

How to Make Changes to Your Benefits

You have two ways to make changes to your benefits if you experience a qualified status change:


Call the Benefits Center at 1-844-44-DFSCO (1-844-443-3726) Monday through Friday during standard business hours.

IMPORTANT: Change Your Coverage Within 30 Days

If you don't change your coverage within 30 days after the date of the qualified status change event (60 days to report a newborn), you must wait until the next Annual Enrollment period to make the change.

Benefits You Can Change at Any Time

For a few benefits, you can make changes at any time, including your HSA contribution amount and certain voluntary benefits, including auto and home insurance, commuter benefits and pet insurance.